Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Communication Across Generations


       There is one group that I communicate differently with, seniors.  I smile more, I’m much more affectionate in my demeanor.  I certainly say Ma’am, Sir and everyone is Miss So-and-So, never just his or her first name.   Growing up, the older generation in my family was revered, along with the older people in the neighborhood.
        When I was a kid we saved the little green wicker baskets the strawberries came in until Easter.  All of the kids would get huge baskets of candy and eggs at Easter.  My grandmother helped us make smaller baskets from our treasure to give to the seniors in the neighborhood.  Those folks looked for us every year.  My mom sent plates of food to elderly neighbors that my cousins and I would deliver.   I enjoyed the stories they would tell about “The good ole’ days.”  I always enjoyed the stories.  My cousins and I did housework for neighbors without hesitation.  Ok, there was some hesitation, but we still did it.  This is how I grew up.
       This reverence may not always a great thing.  My sister says, when it comes to our older Aunts I’m a push over.  This communication difference is most evident in my position as a mentor/coach in the classroom environment. I have a difficult time providing constructive criticism to the senior citizens on our staff.  I like to think of it as individualizing with the special needs some present, like using the laptops.  Some get frustrated when I say, best practices.  I sometimes hear, “the practices I have are just fine.”  But I am aware of this communication struggle, and this awareness has made me prepare my delivery.  I am still respectful, I just a bit more time with this group to get their buy-in.  I have noticed my older staff members respect my position and understand the responsibility I have to continuously improve curriculum implementation at our site.  Our older staff members remind me of what's important in life, the journey.  


4 comments:

  1. Jackie,
    I, too, was raised to respect the older people in my family and in the neighborhood that I grew up in. I never addressed my friends' parents by their first name, it was always Mrs. or Mr. so and so. Isn't it interesting that the older people we work with can teach us more about life. It's not all about fast pace world or technology...it's the journey! Great post!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    When you mention about calling older people with Miss, Sir or Mam, it reminds me of a friend's of mine who just returned from US after living there for some time. When I was introduced to her son, a ten-year old boy, he asked me whether he should call me with Ms, Aunty or just Brigitte. And I prefered to be called Brigitte. Other friends were so surprised to hear and see about this agreement because children never call an adult without Ms, Mam or even "Tante" (= Aunty) here. It is considered very rude, but we were both just okay. I think it is fine whenever both parties agree eventhough it breaks the culture rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie,
    I can understand that you communicate differently with seniors. I have respect for older people, and I will tend to allow them to have more say. As a result, I have learned that it is best to apply the Platinum rule to communication with different groups. This can help to reduce communication barriers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was raised to say "Sir" or "Ma'am" and address those older than me by "Mr" or "Ms." It is funny because now when I do it most people will tell me not to address them that way because it makes them feel old. I think that it is great that you receive support. I am and will always be a fan of seniors and their great wisdom.

    ReplyDelete